Custom Search

Thursday, December 4, 2008

GWT - 1.5.3 - Ubuntu - libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file

Started my work successfully on GWT 1.5.3 for a test project of mine.

I followed the sample instructions as given in the GWT website.

After using the projectCreator and applicationCreator scripts - when I tried to import the project in eclipse and run it - I encountered the following error trace.
/opt/software/gwt-linux/mozilla-1.7.12/libxpcom.so:libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1751)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1647)
at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:770)
at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1005)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.moz.MozillaInstall.load(MozillaInstall.java:190)
at com.google.gwt.dev.BootStrapPlatform.go(BootStrapPlatform.java:40)
at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.main(GWTShell.java:318)

I was working on Ubuntu 8.04.

I did the following

 sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
to get rid of the above mentioned error to install the missing .so files.  That fixed the issue.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had the same problem, thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

thx a lot!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the solution

Marco said...

Thanks!

Jhonnatan R. Semler said...

Muito obrigado!

Anonymous said...

Thanks man!...
it really saved me time!..

Tim Pizey said...

Thanks, fixed for me.

MAS said...

hi,
when i did the mentioned command, i got this error message:

There is no available version of libstdc++5, but it exists in the data base, which generally means that it is a missing package, obsolet package or only available on another source
E: No package corresponds to libstdc++5

(Well the error message was in french and i tried my best to translate it..)

somebody can help me please?
I am using Ubuntu 9.10

Franco Catrin L. said...

On newer versions, download and install this .deb

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/i386/libstdc++5/download